Saturday, March 29, 2014

The Power of the Polaroid

Okay, just one more post about pictures, I swear. After going through our class's recent blog posts, I saw one in particular that caught my eye. Nicole's post about creating photo albums made me think about what a difference a tangible photo can make as opposed to just posting it on social media. It brought me back to my middle school days, actually. My granddad used to have a Polaroid camera that we would always use on our family trips to the mountains, beach, etc. Something about the whole experience was so much better than just taking a digital picture and printing it out. Maybe it was because it took more time, or maybe because the photo looked so distinctive, but whatever it was, using that outdated piece of technology was an experience in itself.

The more I think about it, I actually remember those moments that we captured with the Polaroid more clearly than I do the ones we took with a digital camera. They were such simple moments too, but I love being able to remember them. Most of the pictures we took are lost somewhere now, probably in the depths of my mom's attic space, but even the memory of the photo itself is still enough for me to remember the actual experience. The one that lingers with me the most is a picture of my sister, my cousin, and I, sitting on what has got to be the oldest, most dilapidated couch in our mountain house just making faces. I was 13 years old, and that is one of my clearest memories to this day. The moment was so simple, but the way we captured it made it special. I'd take a Polaroid camera over a digital one any day.

No comments:

Post a Comment