Sunday, March 30, 2014

Conversation Killer

Although I ultimately love and appreciate that we have the technology available that makes texting possible, sometimes I really hate it. I'm sure that even before texting was invented, people got distracted while having conversations and didn't listen to the person they were talking to, but with texting now it seems like it's an every-day occurrence.

I've realized now how big of a pet peeve it is to me when people start texting when you're talking to them. Even replying to just one takes them out of their conversation with you and detracts from the connection. Not only is it rude to the other person, but it's a total overestimate of how well you can multitask. When you pull out your phone when someone is having a conversation with you, it sends the message that you aren't really paying attention to them. It's one of the most dismissive feelings in the world when you're on the other end of that.

My friends will do this sometimes, and I know they mean well and aren't trying to be dismissive, but it makes me so frustrated and want to just stop talking to see if they'd even notice. Actually, I like to play a game to see how receptive they are to what I'm saying once they start texting, so I'll just start saying the most random, weird stuff to see if it even phases them. I know for a fact that people like to feel listened to, so I've made a promise to myself that I won't check texts or anything else on my phone when I'm having a conversation with someone else face-to-face. Surely if I think I deserve that basic level of attention, then so does everyone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment