Sunday, March 23, 2014

Not Great, Alert Carolina

I completely agree with John's point that social media did a better than Alert Carolina did this afternoon to alert us of the dangerous, armed man on campus. I got almost all of my information from Twitter and word of mouth, and my friend was complaining about how she felt the same way, too! In fact, I hadn't gotten much information until two of my friends who the suspect had actually approached came back to their house and told me about it. It's concerning to me that our university's security update system is so lagging, but at the same time, it feels almost empowering that fellow students did such a great job of alerting the public in a timely manner. They took the reigns and gave us the information we needed through social media, which is an extremely efficient way to get breaking news out; everyone's going to be keeping up and everyone sees new notifications popping up on their news feed. Thank goodness for Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment