Tuesday, March 25, 2014

I Don't Need Dental Work

While I'm thinking about our class discussions, I also wanted to argue, from my own personal experience, against the belief that pictures take away from memories or experiences. I have a story to tell all of you, and it is a story of an experience that was lost with the disappearance of pictures from my phone. Get your tissues and prepare yourself for tears. Just kidding, but I did cry a little myself if I'm being completely honest.

Remember my post about losing all of my information on my phone? Well, the good news is that I did get some of it back, but sadly--and most importantly--not my pictures. Now, that may not be such a big deal to some of you, but to me it meant the loss of one of the best potential albums I have ever made. I'm just going to assume that the majority of the people in our class have seen Bridesmaids, because, let's face it, JOMC 240 is run by girls. So, this means you all have seen the scene where Kristen Wiig and Maya Rudolph are eating and Kristen Wiig puts chocolate in her teeth and says "I dont. Need. Dental work." If not, here it is and you're welcome in advance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NL812ag82xI.

Naturally, I loved this and decided to make it my own. Now, here is where I need to give some of you some back story. I'm in Alpha Chi Omega, and basically every Friday at lunch there are brownies for dessert. So, every Friday since the movie came out, I've made my friends stick brownie in their teeth and I took a picture of the beautiful moment. When I lost all of these pictures, I had racked up about 50 gems of friends who "don't need dental work"--which, coincidentally, was going to be the name of my album when I FINALLY uploaded it to Facebook during my senior year. Now I'll have to start all over from scratch...but I can't get back those moments. The loss of all of those pictures was devastating, which proves my point that pictures CAN and do make moments and create experiences that can sometimes transcend mere face-to-face interactions. Even if it's taking pictures of food stuck in people's teeth.

No comments:

Post a Comment