Thursday, February 6, 2014

Overwhelmed by Technology

This post is a little bit more of an inner monologue kind of deal, but I just wanted to post it and see if anyone else is in the same boat as me.

So, since our first day in class, I've been thinking more and more about media and technology in general, and I'm wondering if anyone else is a bit overwhelmed. Personally, I'm just baffled by how people even find out about what's going on with social media, or even just new apps and games for your iPhone. I'm starting to feel a little curmudgeon-y.

It got me thinking, though. Why am I so behind-the-times all the time? I think a lot of it has to do with the ability to personalize and customize our social media and technology. We can customize our phones, how we get news, all of these new ways to put ourselves and our interests into our technology. Even your Instagram or Twitter page says a lot about who you are based on what you post.

I just don't like doing that. It doesn't interest me to make everything so personalized. Perfect example: I've had my same computer since I came to UNC and the background is still the standardized one it comes with. My room doesn't have much on the walls either; I just don't see the point in decorating until I'm living in an actual house!

I guess my point is, does anyone else feel bombarded by a seemingly endless amount of choices and new ways to customize our technology? Maybe I'm a little intimidated by the amount of possibilities out there...or maybe I'm just lazy?

1 comment:

  1. You're not lazy...and you're probably not intimidated. My thought is that some things just work. You don't need to chase after the new shiny object. You don't need to update your background or change your photo avatar or customize everything. Instead, you express yourself in other ways. Other things are more important to you, and that's fine. (Admittedly, that's the way I am too.)

    So, I'd say don't let it overwhelm you and don't worry about it. It's unlikely you're actually missing anything. If some new app or feature grabs your attention and you realize it would be fun or it would make your life easier or your world warmer, then you'll get it. Otherwise, it's all good.

    ReplyDelete