Monday, February 3, 2014

Internet Sensations

While reading an article for my last post, I couldn't help but notice a link on the side of the page about the death of Colonel Meow, one of the many animal internet sensations. After a moment of grief for the Colonel and his owners, it hit me how powerful media can be.

In this digital age we're living in now, we see more and more of stranger's lives than ever before. I don't know about you, but it's amazing to me how people can now utilize the media to basically create a profile and not to mention a solid fan base--consisting of people they don't even know--for their animals. There are so many out there now. I can't remember their names off the top of my head, but we all know that cat with the crossed eyes, the adorable dog with the crazy teeth and uplifting messages, and of course Grumpy cat, to name a few. It starts out as just a couple pictures online, and then all of a sudden people all over the internet know who Colonel Meow is and are mourning his death in solidarity. That's the power of social media, people.

No comments:

Post a Comment