Thursday, January 16, 2014

The Exodus From Facebook

It seems that the hype over Facebook is finally starting to die down. iStrategyLabs claims that teens are leaving Facebook for newer social media sites like Instagram and Snapchat. But the question is: why?

Maybe I'm not technically a teenager anymore, but I can certainly understand their trend toward more recently developed technologies. I've gotten progressively more bored with Facebook over time; it used to be the first thing I checked when I got back home. There was something so exciting about that red notification in the corner, even if it was another infuriating Farmville request. Now, I only get on about twice a week, and it's usually just to upload pictures.  

I think that people are constantly searching for new, exciting ways to interact through media. For example, Snapchat has allowed simple status updates to be replaced by essentially an update with your face on it, which, let's be honest, is way more fun. Facebook has taken the back-burner to make room for these kind of innovative social media outlets.

No comments:

Post a Comment