Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Can Pictures Actually Help us Remember Moments?

Katie Schmidt recently blogged about the potential perils of capturing moments with a picture. A Huffington post study shows that pictures do not actually help retain memories; in fact, they make it harder to keep them. The idea behind this is that we are so focused on taking the picture that it takes the focus off of the actual moment. Should we bypass the Kodak moments and choose to just live in them or can we manage to enjoy them just the same if we take the apparent risk of capturing them with a photo?

Although I understand this perspective and can see the validity behind the concern that we are losing touch with reality because of a focus on technology, I personally don't see this as a huge problem.

Maybe it's different for me, but taking pictures actually helps me remember things because I have such a horrible memory. Because it is really bad. Like, forgotten entire family trips kind of bad. So, for me, it helps to look back and try and jog my memory. Katie brings up a valid question, though, about the effect technology has on us. I think sometimes we don't realize how sucked into our phones or technology we are until, for instance, we can't remember a moment that well because we were too busy trying to Instagram it.

I think it goes both ways, though because technology can also connect people. But are we able to find a balance between getting lost in technology and getting lost in a moment?

No comments:

Post a Comment