Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Creepy Social Media

I have a post that should reaffirm the beliefs that some people in our class hold that social media is creepy. So, just as a preface to the creepy moment I just experienced, this past weekend I went to Disney World and met my boyfriend's family. Long story short, we stayed at a hotel called Melia. Now, here comes the creepy part. I'm not sure if you all are familiar with the website 9gag or not, but it is an incredibly addicting social media site that has a variety of memes, gifs, funny pictures, etc. Anyway, I'm on it all the time. Especially when I should be studying. I was on it today, of course, and as I'm scrolling down chuckling at a gif, I notice on the right side of the page where the advertisements are featured is an ad for guess what? Melia hotels! Telling me that I should book a stay now! What's weirdest to me is that I don't think I posted anything on my Facebook or any social media site about where I was going, much less what hotel I would be staying at. It's some creepy stuff. Even though it's a completely different situation, I feel like the girl whose dad found out she was pregnant from Target before he found out from her. Sometimes this personalization and behavior-tracking that comes along with media is a little too much. When a silly website I go on to procrastinate knows about a trip I took, that's where I draw the line.

No comments:

Post a Comment